Posted on 18-08-2013
Filed Under (Calgary 1970s, CPR) by Broken Rail

1977 started out with me forced back onto the spare board, on January 1, I worked the 22:30 Pulldown with locomotives 8101, 8416 with locomotive engineer Mike Couchman, and yard foreman Vern Sinclair, on the 5th I worked the 09:30 Imperial Oil job with locomotive 6713 and locomotive engineer Norm Case, he grew up in Ogden and his brother Austin was my first rules instructor when I took my apprenticeship at the Ogden Locomotive Shop in 1965. Ralph Johnson was our yard foreman a great guy to work with at this time the old Imperial oil refinery was shut down, and the new terminal for loading tank cars with diesel fuel, and gasoline was built out towards Shepard on the Brooks subdivision at about mile 167. We would get our caboose from the yard, there was no assigned caboose so we used one of the road pool cabooses from down the Pulldown tower and would get our cars from the class yard once we had them marshalled and a brake test done we would contact the Pulldown tower and 12 Street tower and tell them we were ready to leave the yard to go to the Imperial oil terminal, when we would get the okay and routing we would depart Alyth and clear the main track. where there was a run around outside the gates of the terminal when backed into the clear, we would cut off our locomotive and park along the caboose for a coffee break, after that we would open the gates into the terminal, and switch out the loads to be pulled that day and re-spot the others, and would spot the empties we had brought from Alyth, we would then have our lunch break, and after lunch assemble our train and call the train dispatcher and get permission to come back into the yard at Alyth, when we received permission we would back our train out onto the mainline, and pull into Alyth and yard our train sometimes in one of the small tracks in little “N” yard if the cars were hot, we would pull the various right into the class yard and wait for permission from the TYC to escape the class yard so we could get to the shop track and call it a day. The spare board was turning good and I worked every day up until January 14. I had made my miles; they were short of men and called me out for 2 yard shifts on overtime. On January 17, I was the successful bidder for a helper’s position on the 22:30 Pulldown with Monday Tuesday off, the yard foreman was Bill Armstrong, he was a month younger than me, but already had gray hair. I was the senior helper so I held the long fieldman position I remember one night we were tying up some tracks in the middle of the class yard around C-23, Bill was helping me move over a drawbar on a auto carrier as they were hard to move into alignment at times we had finished and were standing along the track when a load of LPG went by us hissing it scared the hell out of us, thinking it was leaking propane, much to our relief we found out later that it was just of pressure relief valve, but the thought of it really leaking was pretty scary with all the other loaded cars around there wouldn’t be much left of the yard if one ever did blow up.. We had a good crew, and I worked this job until February 6 when I was bumped,

I went on a vacancy on the 07:00 Industrial (Coach Engine) working with locomotive engineer Charlie Neek, and yard foreman Dennis (Willkie) Wilkinson, this was a relaxing job we would start the shift doing some small chores around the IYO usually spotting some cars at CP Express, or Ex-4 a fast freight forwarding warehouse located alongside the caboose track on the remains of the old Exhibition lead that had one time ran down to the Calgary Stampede Grounds in Victoria Park to supply them with cars of her coal for their powerhouse steam boilers. The rest of the shift we would work on the daily passenger trains, bringing up power from the Alyth shops, this included RDC’s (Rail Diesel Cars.) for the North passenger trains, switching coaches and power on the Canadian on arrival, and taking power down to the shops for servicing, turning passenger coaches and RDC’s on the wye, and with all the work done just waiting till the passenger trains departed before we could go home. Willkie was a real character short and stout of stature, he wore blue jeans, a tan or plaid work shirt with his pants held up with large suspenders, he was constantly smoking a pipe, short cropped hair, wearing a hunting cap, and large red tartan overcoat. Very jovial always cracking jokes, and making facial expressions and gesturing with his hands, his favourite activity was hunting for empty pop, beer, wine, and whiskey bottles that he would collect and make extra money for the deposit the provincial government paid for these empties, there are many switchmen in the yard who did this type of activity and made some pretty good money doing it, there territories were like hunters trap lines and fiercely guarded from interlopers. Willkie had a trained eye always on the lookout for treasure, and would signal the engineer to stop suddenly in our travels around the yard tracks and depots of page 0 the terminal when he sighted a hidden gem in all the debris junk laying along the railway tracks. Nothing would stop Willkie from his quest; there are lots of derelicts and winos living around the industrial yard and depot tracks where the passenger trains ran into and out of Calgary’s station, on one occasion. Willkie spotted some winos drinking and hiding the half emptied bottles in a culvert under the railway tracks near 1st Street East, one Saturday afternoon probably planning on leaving it for Sunday while they went on their way, Willkie went over there, and drained the bottles and brought them up on the locomotive placed them in his cardboard box he used to stories treasures during the shift, I kind of felt sorry for the poor winos and how they must of felt when they returned on Sunday to find their stash had been raided. On one other occasion we were taking the North Passenger dayliner down from the passenger depot to the Alyth diesel shops for servicing and refuelling, we were East of 8th Street crossing running alongside the Inglewood District near the National hotel a popular area for the derelicts and hobos to congregate as there was in Alberta Liquor Control Board store across the street, they would buy their booze and socialize in an abandoned lot beside the railway right-of-way where they would drag old furniture and shipping crates to have parties in this out-of-the-way surroundings, us railway men used to call it the “lounge” Wilkie spotted something and told Charlie to stop the engine and he sneaked across the tracks alongside a sheet metal signal bungalow there was a drunk Indian with a bottle of wine sitting on a wooden crate leaned up against the structure he was out cold, and Willkie went creeping up slowly not to alert the slumbering native and tried to extricate the bottle from his hand, Charlie being alert to this would blow the engine whistle, and the native would wake up, Willkie would slouch down until the native passed out again, once again Willkie would try to get the bottle and Charlie would blow the whistle, after four or five attempts finally Willkie won his prize came back the engine and away we would go down to the Alyth diesel shop. On return the native was still there slumbering in peace unaware of his now lost forever beverage on the railway earth as trains keep running by on their journeys like the rivers running to the sea.

On February 23 I worked the 22:30 Hump for a couple of days, then went on a vacancy on the 23:45 Bleeder for a few days, in March I was working as a helper on the 22:30, 24:00, and No.2 Relief Hump assignments getting pulled to work as a yard foreman on four shifts. On April 6 I was the successful bidder as the yard foreman on the No.2 Relief that lasted a few days, at that time Tommy Arnott resigned his position as Relief Car Retarder Operator, so I started working the Friday 22:30 Retarder Operator position. On April 24 was the Change of Time Card, I didn’t move anywhere and stayed on the No.2 Relief

On May 16, 1975 I got the helper position on the No. 5 Relief Job No.177 by bid. The assignment worked all day shifts, which would be nice getting every night in bed, and had Tuesday Wednesday off, and worked the 08:00 Hump on Thursdays and Fridays, the 07:30 S. Industrial on Saturdays, and finishing Sunday and Monday’s on the 06:30 Hump assignment. The Yard Foreman was George Tongs, nicknamed “Tongo” a good-natured guy, but very quiet with sad morose eyes, and small in stature. The locomotive engineer was Hughie Pushie, was the complete opposite a large, loud, overbearing, boisterous, and rude man who was always complaining and griping about everything. He and his brother Glenn had transferred to Calgary from Medicine Hat, Alberta were their father was a locomotive engineer, Glenn and Hughie where the complete opposite and personalities were like black-and-white. I remember one time working the No. 8 Relief pusher assignment with Yard Foreman Donn Parker, it was on night shift and Hughie was a engineer on the 24:00 Hump assignment, we pulled a large train out of P-2 with about 120 cars of grain empties, when we got clear of the hump leads, we radioed Hughie to bring the movement to a stop, Donn was sitting in a wooden conductors chair that we always used on the assignment as it was more comfortable, and we had an extra seat this way so the helper from the hump would have a seat to ride on as we approached the hump. I remember that Hughie instead of gently coming to a stop, put on the locomotives independent brake so hard that the slack from the120 cars ran in so hard that it flipped the conductor chair right over and Donn was turned over topsy-turvy with chair sitting on top of him and his head on the floor of the cab, when Hughie heard this later he just laughed, and was lucky that Donn didn’t punch his lights out, but it was not worth getting pulled out of service over this ignorant jerk. On the Saturday, May 21, we worked the 07:30 South Industrial, as we were a two-man yard crew, a spareman would be called to fill out the assignment, this Saturday they called Mike Dartnell, and it was the first time I had worked with him, we had a common acquaintance a friend I went to high school with who lived in Ogden, and he and Mike had worked in the Car Department operating track mobiles to switch out cars in the yard, when the regular yard assignment, and yard master jobs were abolished in the early 1970s, when a brand-new steel car repair shop was built there. Mike wanting to advance himself, and make better money had hired on as a Yardman on the Calgary spareboard that spring. So that day we went to work with the CP 6717 as our power off of the shop track, and usually the workload on Saturday was fairly light, we switched out our caboose, and called 12 Street Tower to line us from the east end of F-yard to the east end of I-yard, we crossed over and kicked our caboose down the lead, and went into the east end of I-2 and switched out the cars we needed from our list towards the lead, with our cars assembled we waited for the carmen to give us a brake test, with that completed we called 12 Street Tower and requested a line-up from the east end of I-yard to Alyth. We waited till traffic cleared up and got a signal to cross over and a line-up down P-1. We proceeded down P-1 past the tower and the operator lined us for the Manchester industrial lead, we shoved over the crossing on 11th Street SE, and went for a coffee break in the Shamrock Grill just across the street, we then proceeded southward on the Manchester lead over 42nd Avenue and wentmove down slow up the hill to service the warehouses and industrial spurs on JA, JB, JC, and JD leads, we spotted all our cars, and pulled out all the empties finishing around 11:15, we pulled down towards 42nd Avenue, replacing all the derails, and backing our train of about eight or nine empties and caboose towards J lead, for a lunch break, on Saturdays. I never packed a lunch as there were many restaurants in the territory, westward of J lead on 42nd Avenue besides the Albatross Radiator repair shop was a strip mall with a coffee shop, Glenn and Hughie stayed on the engine, Mike and I went over to the restaurant for a bit of lunch, we enjoyed our lunch, and were having a second cup of coffee when we heard an engine whistling the crossing on 42nd Avenue, we looked up out the window and much to our surprise it was our little train leaving without us, we bolted out the door and ran down to the crossing just as the caboose was clearing, I frantically waved down Gordon, who was sitting on the fireman’s side and could see me on the curve, they came to a stop and I waved a backup sign which they did, and Mike and I jumped on the caboose and gave them a highball, and they pulled into Alyth. When we stopped on P-yard lead Gordon hopped on the caboose, and gave us kind of a sheepish grin one we asked him what the hell had happened. He said that Hughie got impatient, and started grumbling that no switchman were going to screw up his Saturday afternoon quit by lollygagging in the coffee shop.

This was the last week I worked as a yardman working the 06:30. Hump assignment, on May 23d finishing at 12:40, I went home and had some sleep resting up as I started working holiday vacancies as the relief Car Retarder Operator that evening on the midnight shift, although the shift did not start until actually 23:59. It was agreed between the retarder operators that relief would begin at 22:30. I showed up and relieved the afternoon shift retarder operator the 16:00 Hump were still humping, and had about 60 cars left, so I relieved Gordon he reported everything was running fine, and I took over the controls and let him go home, when the train was finished the Train Yard Coordinator Ed Woelk who I would be working with that evening contacted me on the intercom, a white light on my panel light up and I flipped the intercom switch and answered him by activating stepping on a foot pedal on the floor that activated the boom microphone above my desk at the control counsel, I told him there were no misroutes, so he said have the crew shove down track C- 33 then send them home out C-48 to the shop track, I contacted the hump crew in the hump shack that they would have to shove C-33 and then out C-48, I then proceeded to set up the yard for manual operation, as all signals were in the stop position, I flipped all the switches on the to master retarder’s, and the six group retarder’s blowing them down and isolating them, then I manually lined, all the switches setting the route into C-33, and pressed the “Trim” signal indicator on my panel and radio the hump foreman that they were all lined up for C-33, he then backed the hump. units down towards the West End of C-33 and pushed the cars in the track eastwards to make more room has some cars had hung up on the West End of the track, by doing this, there was more room for later, he then went westward above the dividing switch between group 5 and 6, when he was clear of the bond I lined him towards C-48, and gave him 2 toots on the whistle mounted on top of the signal mast to indicate to him that he was all lined up in, they proceeded down C-48, and lined themselves towards the shop track.Ed contacted me and said to take it easy for a while as there was only one hump assignment working tonight and they didn’t start until 23:59 so that it would be a fairly easy evening with only three trains to hump. So I went down to the Calling Bureau to shoot the breeze with the: crew clerks working night shift, had a coffee with them as there was always fresh coffee available there, wandered down to the yardman’s lunchroom to talk to the crews reporting for duty Bill (crazy horse) McClary was the Foreman on the 23:59 Hump that night, sat around and played some cards with some of the crews, there was always they card game going on, no gambling usually playing hearts, smear, or rap usually finishing off with a little friendly showdown for a quarter, I then returned to the retarder operators room and waited for the hump list to show up in the computer so I could print it out and get ready when the train came up to the hill, although when they built the new yard at Alyth in 1971 they used computer scanners with barcodes on all the rolling stock coming into the yard to check the car numbers but they have never achieved more. The 90% accuracy, so every train that yarded had to be manually checked by a yard clerk called a checker he would write down every car number and manually inserted it into the computer to get a complete list of the whole train before it could be humped so the proper destination tracks could be determined. Only when all the information was inputted correctly it would show up on the CRT screens at my counsel, I could then type out a list on the teleprinter, depending on the length of the train, the list could be from 3 to 6 pages long, we had a large clipboard on a piece of Formica about 18 inches long with the T-square to draw lines across and check each car to verify it was in correct order. The crews in the hump shack also did this to verify if the correct car was coming off the hill. I also had to fill out a Hump Shift Report that would include a recap of all the cars humped that shift along with the Hump Foreman and Weather Report that night I see that I reported at 02:45. The temperature was 40°F winds at 2 mi./h from the West and the sky was clear. We had a portable weather station about our CRT screen on the wall. With the list printed, the TYC would call me on the intercom and check if I was ready, I would set up my panel, and flip all the switches for the car retarders, and give a couple of toots on the whistle to acknowledge I was ready, he would reply with a couple of toots and set up the Hump board he would also contact the crew in the hump shack start humping and he would set the speed usually 1.75 mi./h unless we had special dangerous commodities like liquefied petroleum gas and the speed would then be 1 mile an hour, with the yard and full automatic mode cars would come off the hill and single order computerized radar would measure their speed and the too large master retarder’s would slow down their speed, they would also roll over a scale bed and be weighed for proper billing all this information was inputted into the computer in the room next to my control panel as the cars exited the master retarder’s they would hit a weigh rail and it would determine if each car was light, medium, heavy, or extra heavy in weight, and this information was used to determine what speed they should be slowed down to in the group retarder’s and this was determined by the amount of cars in each track weather conditions and other factors and the proper retarding force would be applied by the clamping mechanisms in the group retarder’s in order that they would proceed into the bowl tracks of their destination C-yard track at the correct speed to make a smooth coupling onto the cars already in the track, I have attached a copy of the data of the trains we humped that evening I

TRACK NUMBER N-11 V-3/P-11 P-3.
TRAIN NUMBER 23:59 23:59 23:59
HUMP LIST 1 2 3.
LIST RECEIVED 0:40 02:45 03:55
STARTED HUMPING 01:10 03:10 04:15
FINISHED HUMPING 02:10 03:35 05:00
TOTAL CARS 97 48 114

As you can see it took us exactly 1 hour to hump the 97 cars to hump the first train from N-11 while it only took this 45 min. to hump the 114 cars from P-3 there could be a number of reasons for the difference in time. There are a lot of LPG that that come into the yard from the Red Deer subdivision this could reduce the hump speed to 1 mi./h on a lot of these cars, while the train from P3 might all contain grain cars that would roll over the hill fast at 1.75 miles an hour, other explanations might cause delays if there was an extra car in the train. It might take a few minutes to determine its destination, other delays could occur from cars with applied hand brakes that have to be stopped on the helm and removed by the crew before starting again, cars of explosives that had to be set off the train into a stub track, cars was sticking brakes that do not roll properly off the hill and stall in the bowl of the yard, and this case the hump will have to come to a stop and push the whole train over, the hill and physically pushed the car into the destination track, although on some occasions we can help to a degree by manually releasing the group retarder and hitting the car physically with another car headed into that direction. Kind of like playing shuffleboard on a bigger scale this takes skill and judgment, though.

On May 24 it was a little busier as both assignments the 22:30 and 23:59 Humps were on, so we handled twice as many cars as the previous night. Here’s a breakdown of that shift we had the same TYC (Fast.) Eddie Wolke and Roger (the dodger) Gelinas was the yard foreman on the 22:30 Hump assignment.

Weather Report@5:30 Temperature 44°F . Winds from W 10 mph Clear sky.

TRACK No V-1 C-9 V-5 N-6;11 P-9 P-10 P-1
TRAIN # 22:30 22:30 23:59 22:30 23:59 22:30 23:59
LIST No. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
LIST RECD 23:16 0:00 0:30 1:35 2:55 4:15 5:10
STARTED 23:20 0:05 0:50 1:45 3:00 4:25 5:15.
FINISHED 23:45 0:10 1:20 2:30 3:45 5:05 5:55.
TOTAL CARS 59 16 61 104 93 88 100.
SHIFT TOTAL 521 cars.

A good night’s work when you look at the numbers, the actual time humping the seven lists; 25 minutes – 5 minutes – 30 minutes – 45 minutes – 45 minutes – 40 minutes – 40 minutes a total of 3 hours and 50 minutes to get 521 cars over the hill was a pretty good average. Let’s take a look at the figures for May 25, we have the same hump crews, and TYC.

Weather Report@2:30 Temperature 44° F Winds from SE 2 Mph Clear conditions.

TRACK NO. P-11V-1 V-2 P-10 V-1 N-8 P-5
HUMP 22:30 24:00 22:30 24:00 22:30 24:00
LIST NO. 1 2 3 4 5 6
LIST RECD. 23:30 0:50 1:30 2:30 3:45 5:00
STARTED 23:40 0:50 1:45 2:40 3:45 5:15.
FINISHED 0:15 1:15 2:25 3:20 4:30 6:00
TOTAL 87 40 95 83 74 105

Actual time humping 35 minutes – 25 minutes 40 minutes – 40 minutes – 45 minutes – 45 minutes, a total of 3 hours and 50 minutes this to get 472 cars humped, so we took the same time as the previous night for a count 49 car’s less.

I worked this assignment with Thursday Friday until June 12, then went on the afternoon .relief assignment working 16:00 to 23:59 for two weeks until June 27
Pay scale. In 1977 for Car Retarder Operators was $65.90 per shift or $8.23 per hour.
Dayshift weeks August 22, 29, September 5, 12, 19, 26.
Afternoon shift June 13, 20. August 1, 8, 15,
Midnight shift May 23, 30, June 6, December 26.
Swing shift June 13, 20, July 4, 11,
List of Illustrations:

1:) Photo of CP 8113 working 07:00 Industrial assignment (coach engine.) Circa 1978

2.) Photo of JA to JD lead.

3.) Photo of J lead looking southeastward towards McDonald’s consolidated warehouses J 40

4.) Photo of Eddie Woelk TYC (Train Yard Coordinator) 1968West were

5.) Photo of Car Retarder Operator’s desk and counsel in front of the chair is switch panel for the 48 pneumatic track switches in the bowl of the Classification yard, to the left of that your in front of the window is the control console for the master retarders, and the six group retarders, plus controls for dial a speed when humping in manual mode, the computer CRT monitor is in front of the pillar and the weather station is above it. To the right is the boom microphone controlled by foot switch, and the switches in front of the papers in the foreground are for communicating around the terminal No.1. Is the open yard radio channel, No. 3. It is a direct enter, with the Train Yard Coordinator (TYC) No.6 is Radio 4, the open Road Channel. No. 19 direct intercom into Hump shack on crest of the hill. No. 20 & 21 outdoor squawk boxes outside on both sides of the crest of the hill. No. 22. Group Retarders 1 & 2 in bowl of classification yard, No. 23. Group Retarder 3, No. 24. Group Retarder 4, No. 25. Group Retarder 5, No. 26. Group Retarder 6, No. 27. Outside Telephone line. No. 28 was the retarder operator room No. 29. Car Department Planner on Fifth Floor of Control Tower. No. 30. Deputy General Yard Master on Fourth Floor of Control Tower. No. 31. Pulldown Supervisor in tower at East end of the classification yard. No. 36. Lever to pull down to speak instead of using foot pedal.

6.) Photo of master retarder controls on left with the levers flipped in the downward position the retarders are turned off, above the two levers are for indicator lights for the weigh rail that display “light”, “medium”, “heavy”, and “extra heavy” next to it is the pneumatic divider switch (or bull switch.) between C-1-24 and C-25-48 the switch is lined manually towards C-1-24 as the orange indicator light shows, the next two switches to the right are divider switches the one on the bottom devides group 1 on the bottom C-1-8 and group 2 & 3 above it, the top divider switch divides group 6 on the top C-41-48 and group 5 & 4, the next set of switches devides groups 2 and 3 on the bottom and groups 4 and 5 on the top. Next are white pushbuttons for weights that were deactivated, besides them are the lever switches for the six group retarders, they are all in the down position and are turned off. Next is them are rotary dials called “dial a speed” numbered from 1 to 10, they are only used when humping in hard manual mode. Looking at the position of the switches in this photo, and the indicator lights show that it is a manual lineup from the bull switch towards group 2 C-9-16.

7.) Photo of 42 pneumatic control switchs from bowl of classification yard tracks C-1-48, the eight push buttons on the left-hand side of the panel are indicator lights that show what mode the hump is in such as; “Hump”, “Automatic”, “Manual”, “Trim.”, “Escape”, “Stop”, “Master Clear” there was also a whistle button that was connected to a old steam whistle mounted on top of the double aspect signal mast located above the bull switch, and below the master retarders it was used to communicate between the the TYC, and the Retarder Operator, and to alert hump crews that humping is about to begin, after I had received my lists. I would set up my control panel, turn on all the master and group retarders and give two whistles to get the Automatic Hump Board from the TYC. The other row of eight buttons are used to used to alert the retarder operator of condition that need attending to such as “Hump Stop 18″ in this case master retarders are to be set in the extra heavy position, and the signal maintainer advised, operations must not proceed until okay is received from him. “Low Air” that would occur when humping lots of heavyweight cars such as grain and potash. that used lots of air to slow the cars down, in this situation, one could just stop and wait until sufficient air had pumped up to start operations again, on night shift I used to go outside into the large metal building that housed the compressors, there were control consoles and the compressors could be changed from Automatic mode to Manual and the air would be pumped up enough to operate by the time I got back to my office. There were teletype machines constantly printing out the status of the operation, and any Hump Stop alarms would be displayed on the teletype along with the time that it occurred. At the end of humping operations the teletype would give you a Alarm 204 indicating that there were no cars misrouted.

8.) Photo of Hump control signal mast to the right of the telephone pole, and below the master retarders, it has double aspect lights that would display green when the Hump was operating, and red when stoped. Hopper cars of grain are coming off the hump.

9.) Photo taken from retarder operator’s room looking down and northward at the master retarders beside the telephone pole, above the master retarders is a weigh scale mounted into the track structure where all cars going over the hump are automatically weighed and the data entered into the computer at the crest of the hill visible to the left is the sheet-metal hump shack, besides it a pusher locomotive waits for instructions from the TYC on where to go next, either out of the class yard through C-1 or C- 48 and on to the next train to be humped, or a trimming chore in the class yard of shoving down some tracks that haven’t rolled down far enough to make room for other cars, or to dig out a couple of cars that may have been misrouted to the wrong tracks. In the case of misroutes the TYC will advise me of the destination track for the misroutes, let’s say there is one car behind four, the pusher engine will couple on to and tie up the five cars, the helper will ride out on the side ladder of the fourth car where he has access to the uncoupling lever, the pusher engine will pull the string of cars up into the master retarder on the hill, I will route the switches for the proper track, and blow the whistle. This will alert the helper to pull the operating lever and uncouple the car gravity will take it into the proper track, when the car is clear. I will whistle again and the other four cars are uncouple in drift back into their track, I can use the dial a speed feature on the group retarders to control the speed so the cars make a safe coupling and their respective tracks.

10.) Photo showing groups four, five, and six retarders, to the left the single locomotive is sitting on the Gen. Yard Office shop track, this is the location were yard assignments starting at the GYO go to work, they will ask the TYC for permission to go eastward and foul C-48 for them to escape the class yard going westward over a set of crossover switches that will take them into N-yard, or the tunnel lead that runs underneath the hump and towards the caboose tracks, one spot car repair shops, V-yard, and P-yard. To the left is a three locomotive hump consist sitting on the hump shop track, the metal building in the foreground is the compressor room, with auxiliary air storage tanks located outside, they provide all the compressed air to operate the eight retarders, and all the class yard pneumatic controlled switches.

11.) Another view showing the GYO shop track empty, and a hump locomotive conscious shoving in towards C-48 to head to the hump shop track after finishing humping their train.

12.) This view shows groups one, two, and three retarders, a hump consist is going westward out of C-10 after trimming a track (making room for other cars by shoving the track down which is necessary when cars stall at the top end.) Or he might be pulling the whole track for reclassification, there is always one track designated as a sluff track were cars are routed when their destination is unknown, when the correct information is found the track will be pulled back and humped again,

13.) A panoramic view taken with a fisheye camera lens that shows all six groups in the bowl of the classification yard.

14.) Process control system technician Dave changes out computer reel on Alyth’s main computer on the third floor of the General Yard Office the reader to the right of him is Online .

15.) Senior process system control analyst Cyril Andrews looking at data on his monitor, while technician Jon makes adjustment on master retarder panel.

16.) Technician Dave makes adjustment in control cabinet, while Jon monitors the readings on the master retarder panel, the panel to his left our for groups one to six. There were a team six analysts and technicians who were CPR employees who monitored the computerized humping process and provided on-site software and hardware maintenance.

CPR 8113 coach engine 1978 photo CPR8113coachenginecirca1978_zps1b90f0b7.jpg
















(0) Comments   
Post a Comment